Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Ándale! Ándale!...Arriba! Arriba!




Tallahassee, FL-- The NCAA will allow Florida State to use its "Seminoles" nickname in postseason play, removing the school from a list of colleges with Native American nicknames that were restricted by an NCAA decision earlier this month. The NCAA recently said it would prohibit teams from using mascots the NCAA has deemed "hostile and abusive" in its postseason tournaments. Who determines what is 'hostile and abusive', society at large or the self appointed officers of the nation's leftist Thought Police? Many sports prefer to 'sit on the fence' with this issue. (Jgonzz isn't a sportswriter. He is a Zamboni mechanic by profession and an asshole by reputation) If a group told me that my team's name was offensive to their senses, I would calmly listen to their gripes and then I would tell them to go fuck themselves, like a cheap squaw. And if they needed it, I would put it in writing, on letterhead. If your mascot was a 'hostile' indian, BUT was also a homosexual transexual anti-Bush Naturalist vegetiarian black panther soldier that sang the praises of PETA and the ACLU, it would be untouchable..sacrosanct.
Are we to turn the Kansas City Chiefs into the Kansas City Reds? Browns? Greens? Trees? Woodchucks? Cornhusks? Sunflowers? Flaming beehives? Fuck that! If you think that the name 'Chief' is offensive, then too bad.

When I was a kid, I vaguely remember the Frito Bandito. It was a cartoon character that was a mexican bandit, a bit like Speedy Gonzales, drawn by Tex Avery and voiced by Mel Blanc. The Bandito didn't steal money. He stole Frito corn chips. It was killed in the early 1970's after getting pressue from the "National Mexican-American Anti-Defamation Committee" (who ever the fuck these guys are..) I'm Mexican, at least that's what my dad tells me. And I know he's at least 100% Mexican, (he's been in the US since the 1950's and still eats tortillas with his breakfast, for fucking sakes!) so I'm a least 50%, right? And I wan't the Bandito to come back. There ain't nothing wrong with him. Anyone that 'feels' violated by a mascot needs to watch more Jerry Springer. Or maybe get a job. Or maybe get a life.

When you concentrate on the stupid little irrelevant stuff in life, the really important things slip on by.

No comments: